I especially wanted to try more hometown and regional brews, –those craft beers from Virginia.
As I thought more about this goal, I thought it would be cool to award myself some sort of merit badge, maybe one for every five new craft beers? I have yet to find something that might pass as a cool looking craft beer merit badge. That is something I will continue to look for!
In the meantime, I started to track those brews I have tried since beginning my resolution:
- Loose Cannon India Pale Ale, Heavy Seas Brewing Company, Halethorpe, Maryland
- India Pale Ale, Sweetwater Brewing Company, Atlanta, Georgia
- Extra Pale Ale 420, Sweetwater Brewing Company, Atlanta, Georgia
- Georgia Brown Ale, Sweetwater Brewing Company, Atlanta, Georgia
- Spinnerbait, Sweetwater Brewing Company, Atlanta, Georgia
*I sort of cheated a bit because I found a Sweetwater Brewing Company variety pack.
As I have been working towards my first five of the New Year, I came to the conclusion that I really don’t know anything about beer tasting. I have paged through those magazine articles on this topic, but nothing really stuck.
I do have my own self-described beer categories:
- Yes, I would buy it again
- No, I won’t buy it again
- Makes a good “grass cutting beer,” that is to say, they go well with chores, transports easy for camping and fishing, and those other closely related activities
So now I have another item on my “stuff I want to learn about” list. How to taste beer and what kind of beer pairs well with this-or-that kind of food.